THERAPY DOG CLASS
THE LAST CLASS FOR THIS SESSION WILL BE HELD ON NOVEMBER 25TH, 2017.
This six-week class focuses on skills dogs and handlers need in order to work well together as a team while visiting people in facilities. This class prepares teams to pass a therapy dog evaluation based on the Therapeutic Paws of Canada criteria (www.tpoc.ca). This class does not include an evaluation.
Skills we cover include:
- Fostering a therapeutic relationship with your dog
- Applying basic obedience skills in a therapeutic environment
- Meeting patients/clients appropriately and safely
- Meeting other dogs appropriately
- Signs of dog stress and what to do about it
Instructor: Dian McTaggart
Instructor is a graduate of the Karen Pryor Academy and a certified TTouch practitioner.
Prerequisites: Handlers must be willing to use positive based training methods. Dogs must be at least 1 year old and work well on a flat collar (no slip, choke, or prong collars). Aggressive or reactive dogs are not appropriate as therapy dogs.
Please note, a review of your information, prior of acceptance to class is required. Payments must be received one week prior to class.